This New Shopping Center On Kapolei Parkway Will Open In 18 Months
Hoʻomaka Marketplace is a planned retail development at the corner of Kapolei Parkway and Kualakaʻi Parkway, across the street from Ka Makana Aliʻi. You may have seen the sign there on the corner has you’ve driven by.
What Stores Will Be In The Shopping Center
According to public plans, the shopping center will house:
- An 18,000 square foot Longs Drugs (for comparison, that’s the same size as the PetSmart across the street in Ka Makana Aliʻi)
- Another ~20,000 square foot retail store
- Five or six other smaller stores, between 1,000-5,000 square feet each
- A 1,200 square foot space that will be operated as a community resource by Kapolei Community Development Corporation
- A Hele gas station / 7-Eleven combo, like the one that just opened about a mile away
More stores should be announced soon.
These Plans Have Been In The Works Since April 2018
Here’s some of the history of the project.
The developer of the property is California-based KZ Companies. They have built on Oʻahu before: the company completed a Longs’ in Makaha in 2018, and have built Longs’ in Honolulu and Āina Haina as well.
In April of 2018, Janis L. Magin of Pacific Business News reported that the shopping center was in the planning stages. And commercial real estate agents from Colliers International have listed the available leases on Crexi, an online repository of retail opportunities.
No Construction Yet, But It’s Starting Soon
As anyone can see at the site, it’s still bare ground. But a KZ Companies representative told me that action’s coming. They say are working on construction drawings now, and negotiating with tenants they hope to be able to announce publicly soon. We’ll let you know when they do.
KZ Companies says they plan to break ground in May, which would put Longs on track to open in the spring of 2021.
For more info about new construction in Kapolei — including updates on this shopping center — subscribe to our weekly Kapolei newsletter.